Being a massive doughnut lover I bought a doughnut cutter and moulds in summer and finally decided to make them! I used the Lakeland recipe which I found pretty straight forward and they tasted yummy!
What you need:
20g unsalted butter
250g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
25g caster sugar
7g sachet fast-action yeast
What you do
1. In a small saucepan, warm the milk and butter until hand hot, mix the butter until it melts completely.
2. Sift the flour and sugar into a large bowl and stir in the salt and yeast.
3. Slowly add the milk mixture and the egg to the dry ingredients, mixing with a wooden spoon. You can use your hands but the dough is very sticky.
4. Gradually add another tbsp water and work into the dough. This will take around 4 minutes.
5. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead well for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Placethe dough in a floured bowl, cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise for 40 minutes.
6. Tip the risen dough onto a lightly floured surface. With a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough until around 1cm thick, and use the doughnut cutter to cut out 8 doughnuts.
You can either bake of fry these doughnuts I choose to fry mine as it was easier but the recipe also includes how to bake the doughnuts which you can find HERE
Spin each doughnut on your index finger to expand the hole. Place the doughnuts onto an oiled baking tray and loosely cover with oiled cling film, making sure the cling film doesn’t touch the dough. Leave to rise for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, add sunflower oil to the deep fat fryer and heat to 1800C.
3. Drop each doughnut separately into the oil, cooking each side for about 1 minute until golden brown.
Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with kitchen towel to soak up the excess oil. Roll the doughnuts in sugar while still hot, or leave to cool and top with vanilla glaze.
I also choose to just use sugar to top the doughnuts as it was 10pm and I couldnt be bothered to make any toppings! The recipe includes how to make vanilla glaze and filled doughnuts if thats what you desire.